Now Hiring: Trail Crew Workers
Posted on Friday April 30, 2021
Trail Crew Worker
East Coast Trail Association
Up to 40 hours/week
1 – 2 positions available, during May 17 to September 6, dependent on funding approval.
The East Coast Trail Association (ECTA) is a registered charity and not-for-profit responsible for the management, maintenance and protection of the East Coast Trail, a 336km coastal wilderness hiking trail on the eastern edge of Newfoundland’s Avalon Peninsula.
ECTA is accepting applications to fill one (1) seasonal Trail Crew Worker positions to assist with construction, enhancement and maintenance work along the coastline of the Avalon Peninsula, between Topsail Beach and Cappahayden. This position is funded through Canada Summer Jobs and the applicant must fit the criteria from CSJ to qualify (outlined below).
- Aid in the planning, preparation, development and maintenance of the East Coast Trail
- Assist with trail enhancement and maintenance tasks such as: the removal of trees blown down across the trail, brushing and pruning, slash removal, the building of trail structures, and the transportation of material along the trail.
- Assist in planning and preparation tasks as needed. Such tasks include: trail layout and route planning, worksite surveying and assessments, and procurement of materials, tools, and equipment.
- Hike distances ranging from 5 to 20 kilometres on a regular basis.
- Assist in inventory tracking and management.
- Other duties as assigned
- Be knowledgeable in the proficient use and safe operation of power saws and/or tools associated with construction, carpentry, woodworking, and stonework;
- Be in good physical condition and prepared to work in an outdoor environment and in adverse weather conditions;
- Be capable of hiking distances of several kilometres of the East Coast Trail daily, while transporting tools, equipment and materials to outdoor work sites on the trail;
- Have experience as a general labourer;
- Provide own transportation when working in the St. John’s area;
- To be eligible, according to the funding provider, applications must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment*;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- Previous outdoor construction experience;
- Valid first aid certification;
- OH&S training.
Trail Crew Worker Rate: $16.64/hour, up to 40 hours per week.
How to apply:
Send a short cover letter with resume, highlighting any construction, carpentry or chainsaw experience, with subject line Trail Crew Worker Application to the attention of:
Trail Manager, East Coast Trail Association at firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications must be received by May 7, 2021.
*No phone calls, please. We sincerely appreciate all applications, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.*