Posted on Monday June 11, 2018
Summer Job Opportunities:
The East Coast Trail Association is a registered charity established to provide a wilderness hiking experience by developing and maintaining the East Coast Trail, promoting public access, minimizing its impact on the natural environment and protecting it for future generations. We are now accepting applications for three summer positions – two are office based and one is trail based. These positions are funded by the Government of Canada through the Canada Summer Jobs Program.
#1. Summer Office and Outreach Assistant (from June 18 – August 10) and #2. Summer Office and Outreach Assistant (from July 9 – August 31)
The Summer Outreach and Office Assistant will provide event and tourism support to East Coast Trail hikers and the Association. The East Coast Trail, a vital tourism and community asset, spans the coastline in three constituencies: St. John’s East, St. John’s South – Mount Pearl, and Avalon. In consultation with the Association’s Business Manager, the student will: respond to trail information requests via telephone and email; assist hikers and tourists seeking information; support fundraising event coordination; assist with updating the Association’s social media pages and website, assist with the preparation of a quarterly e-newsletter, and process and package online trail map and product orders.
We welcome applicants from fields of study including Business Administration, Office Administration, Marketing and Communications, Hospitality and Tourism Management, Community Recreation Leadership, or a related field of study. Applying knowledge and skills built within one or more of these areas, the student will demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills, good email and telephone etiquette, comfort with standard office equipment and windows-based applications, ease interacting with and helping others, interest or experience with Google applications, willingness to creatively problem solve, and knowledge of factors influencing tourism and recreation in the St. John’s East, St. John’s South – Mount Pearl, and Avalon regions.
#3. Assistant to the Trail Manager (from July 2 – August 24)
The Assistant to The Trail Manager will work with the Trail Manager to aid in the Planning, Preparation, Development and Maintenance of the East Coast Trail. The student will assist with trail enhancement and maintenance tasks such as: the removal of trees blown down across the trail, brushing and pruning, slash removal, the building of trail structures, and the transportation of material along the trail. The student will also assist in planning and preparation tasks as needed. Such tasks include: trail layout and route planning, worksite surveying and assessments, and procurement of materials, tools, and equipment. The location for this position would be the full East Coast Trail which covers over 300km of coastline on the eastern edge of the Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland. The student will also be required to hike distances ranging from 5 to 20 kilometres on a daily basis.
We welcome applicants from fields of study including Forestry, Engineering, or a Construction related field of study. Applying knowledge and skills built within one or more of these areas, the student will demonstrate strong teamwork skills, ease interacting with and helping others, interest or experience with working outdoors, willingness to creatively problem solve, and knowledge of basic construction hand tools.
Eligibility: In accordance with the Canada Summer Jobs program, to be eligible for these positions, the students must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- have been registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
- intend to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- be students in a secondary, postsecondary, vocational or technical program;
- be Canadian Citizens, permanent residents, or persons on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act* and;
- be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
*Foreign students are not eligible.
Employment duration: Eight weeks of 30 hours per week
- For #1. Summer Office and Outreach Assistant (from June 18 – August 10) and #2. Summer Office and Outreach Assistant (from July 9 – August 31) the compensation will be $11.15/hour
- For #3. Assistant to the Trail Manager (from July 2 – August 24) the compensation will be $15.85/hour
Deadlines to apply:
- The deadline to apply for #1. Summer Office and Outreach Assistant (from June 18 – August 10) is 9:00a.m. on Thursday, June 14
- The deadline to apply for #3. Assistant to the Trail Manager (from July 2 – August 24) is 4:00p.m. on Friday, June 22
- The deadline to apply for #2. Summer Office and Outreach Assistant (from July 9 – August 31) is 4:00p.m. on Friday, June 29
How to apply:
Send a resume with a short covering letter, highlighting relevant skills, by email (indicating the position you are interested in in the subject line) to:
Ms. Karla Fuglem, Business Manager
East Coast Trail Association
*No phone calls, please. We sincerely appreciate all applications, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.*