Posted on Tuesday June 11, 2019
The East Coast Trail Association is a registered charity established to provide a wilderness hiking experience by developing and maintaining the East Coast Trail, promoting public access, minimizing its impact on the natural environment and protecting it for future generations. We are now accepting applications for two summer office positions. These positions are funded by the Government of Canada through the Canada Summer Jobs Program.
#1. Summer Office and Outreach Assistant (from June 24 – August 16)
#2. Summer Office and Outreach Assistant (from July 8 – August 30)
The Summer Office and Outreach Assistant will provide event and tourism support to East Coast Trail hikers and the Association. In consultation with the Association’s Business Manager, the employee will: respond to trail information requests via telephone and email; assist hikers and tourists seeking information; support event coordination, planning, and documentation; assist with updating the Association’s social media pages and website and preparing a quarterly e-newsletter, process and package online trail map and product orders, and work on special initiatives related to our 25th Anniversary year (2019).
We welcome applicants with experience relating to Business Administration, Office Administration, Marketing and Communications, Hospitality and Tourism Management, Community Recreation Leadership, or a related field. Applying knowledge and skills built within one or more of these areas, the employee will demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills, good email and telephone etiquette, comfort with standard office equipment and windows-based applications, ease interacting with and helping others, interest or experience with Google applications, willingness to creatively problem solve, and knowledge of factors influencing tourism and recreation in the St. John’s East, St. John’s South – Mount Pearl, and Avalon regions.
Eligibility: In accordance with the Canada Summer Jobs program, to be eligible for these positions, the employees must:
• be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
• have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Employment duration: Eight weeks of 30 hours per week
Compensation: For both #1. Summer Office and Outreach Assistant (from June 24 – August 16) and #2. Summer Office and Outreach Assistant (from July 8 – August 30), the compensation will be $11.40/hour.
Deadlines to apply:
• The deadline to apply for #1. Summer Office and Outreach Assistant (from June 24 – August 16) is 11:59p.m. on Sunday, June 16.
• The deadline to apply for #2. Summer Office and Outreach Assistant (from July 8 – August 30) is 11:59p.m. on Tuesday, June 25.
How to apply:
Send a resume with a short covering letter, highlighting relevant skills, by email to:
Ms. Karla Fuglem, Business Manager
East Coast Trail Association
*No phone calls, please. We sincerely appreciate all applications, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.*